Thursday 26 September 2013

Shimbashi Soba & Sake Bar

I am still in love with all things Japanese at the moment. So it's no real surprise that when organising a laid-back dinner with girlfriends, the venue I suggested was Shimbashi Soba & Sake Bar.

Located on Liverpool St, this small but charming restaurant is known for its handmade buckwheat noodles. During our visit they proudly advertised that they had recently received a new batch of Tasmanian buckwheat - these people really know and love noodles!

The soba dishes are served either hot or cold, and being the middle of winter I couldn't bring myself to order a cold dish (maybe next time).


Simple, clean flavours with noodles cooked to perfection. It was everything a soba dish is meant to be.


We also ordered some Takoyaki, because I was still intrigued about those little octopus balls. Shimbashi's balls didn't impress me quite as much as those found on the streets of Kyoto, but it's good enough for a local fix.


As someone who enjoys sake but is still very uneducated, I was also impressed by the sake sampling sets.



Good food and service are not rare in this city, so restaurants really need a distinguishing factor to stand-out. Shimbashi Soba & Sake Bar had the right combination quality food and good service, but it's the added element of Japanese kitsch that really drew me in. I can't wait to go back (and try a Princess Princess Cocktail with a serve of cold soba).

- Dani


Summary
Name: Shimbashi Soba & Sake Bar
Cuisine: Japanese
Price: $$
Location: 17 Liverpool St, Melbourne VIC 3000
Map:


Shimbashi Soba & Sake Bar on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Is this a new restaurant because I have been there few days back and didn't find that bar. Hope that is really rood restaurant for food lovers. greetings from https://www.chandlersboise.com/

    ReplyDelete